Articles & News (Español)
Marquette University College of Nursing Institute for Natural Family Planning
Effectiveness Study on Two Internet-Based Natural Family Planning Methods
We are looking for couples who are interested in using natural family planning (NFP) to avoid pregnancy for at least one year and would be willing to participate in a study to determine the effectiveness of two NFP methods: 1) electronic hormonal fertility monitoring; and 2) self-observation of cervical mucus to estimate the time of fertility. Both of these methods will include the use of an online (Internet) charting system that automatically computes the estimated time of fertility.
To be eligible for the study the woman NFP user needs to:
- be between the age of 18 and 42
- be in a sexually active committed relationship with a man
- have a menstrual cycle range of 21-42 days
- have not used Depo (injectable) contraception for the past 6 months
- have not used oral or patch hormonal contraception for the past 3 months
- have not breast-fed baby for at least three months
- have no known fertility problems
- not be using medications that interfere with fertility
- not smoke cigarettes
- not be pregnant.
Her male partner needs to:
- be between the ages of 18 and 50 years-old
- have no known fertility problems, and
- be in a sexually active committed relationship with his lone woman partner.
The potential participants will also need to be open to a possible pregnancy.
When used correctly the NFP methods are estimated to be 98-99% effective.
When not used consistently and according to instructions, the methods are estimated to be 86-90% effective.
All participants will receive a $200 ClearBlue Easy Fertility Monitor and $10 for each menstrual cycle charted online. However, the participants who are in the cervical mucus observation group will only receive the fertility monitor after completing the 12 months of charting. Couples who agree to participate will be automatically assigned either to the fertility monitor or the cervical mucus group.
All participants will be asked to fill out a 10 item user satisfaction survey at 1, 3, 6, and 12 months.
If you are interested in participating please visit this Web site: nfpstudy
If you wish to immediately register, see: nfpstudylogin
If you have further questions about this study please contact: Dr. Richard J. Fehring, PhD, RN, 414-288-3838, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org